Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Reading Rush

Summer is one of my favorite seasons because it brings more moments in the day I can spend reading.  I love the rush of reading a good book, those moments when you feel you can't read fast enough.  I appreciate how many books one must read to find the good ones.  They often seem so few and far between.  Here are a few of my favorite fiction reads, perfect for summer reading or great to add to your pleasure reading for the next school year.



My love affair with books reminds me of how much we can give our students if we can light the fire for reading.  While it's so important to model enthusiastic reading habits for our students, we can give them so much more.  Reading can connect you with people and the world in ways that few other things can.

GoodReads is a must-have digital tool if you have a passion for reading!  I don't know about you, but I have my go-to people for reading recommendations.  There are some people in the world that share a likeness for the same books.  GoodReads is my way of keeping up with their reading recommendations, even if I haven't seen them for months to have a face-to-face conversation about books worth reading.  In essence, GoodReads is social networking for readers.

Establish a profile and 'friend' others that you are interested in following.  Create digital shelves of books: to read, read, currently reading, abandoned, etc.  Never again forget about the book somebody told you to read months ago.  The best part is that once you finish a book, you can rate the book 1 - 5 stars.  As your friends finish and rate books, you'll receive updates about their recommendations.  GoodReads also provides opportunities to participate in author discussions, which could be a great experience for students.




No comments:

Post a Comment