Thursday, March 10, 2016

If Only My Students Were Better Presenters: Tips to Make It Happen

Stock Photo by Tara Hunt via Flickr
Do you find yourself saying, "If only...?"
If only I could get my students to stop reading from their slides...
If only I could get my students to get the interest of the audience right from the beginning...
If only I could get my students to design slides that are more visually appealing...

The ability to present ideas and information in a compelling way is a valuable skill set that can be used in so many different settings.  It is a skill set that must be modeled and explicitly taught, however. Too often we keep the secrets of solid presentations a mystery.  Helping students to see exactly what to do and what not to do can help bring life and ownership to presentations.  These are tips I've gleaned from both teachers and national presenters that I think can make a BIG difference.  

Feel free to copy and share these google slides with your students as a basic list of how to create more effective presentations.  Also, let's grow this list!  Leave me a comment with your ideas or let me know if this makes an impact on your own presentations or the presentations of your students.  I would love to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic resource Sara! What a great way to model for students with slides that allow for discussion. Can't wait to share this with other teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Tracey! Let me know if you have ideas to add as I know you are a presentation master yourself!

    ReplyDelete